a consolation for the lingering winter weather is that i've been able to wear my cozy new hat for the past week... i used this easy pattern with this super-soft yarn. it ended up being a great fit with just a little slouch. i really like how the seed stitch pattern looks in slightly variegated yarn, not to mention the pom pom.
and here i am in my new hat exploring an ice portal (polaroid taken by david):
i finished a knitting project and there's still snow on the ground! (remember the photo in this post of when i had just begun). this cable pattern was fun and easy to knit with a super-soft wool/nylon blend that's been rolling around here for a while. i really like the woven texture with this squishy, spongy yarn...
i thought i'd include my cable pattern here (which i adapted from a tighter/smaller woven cable pattern from this book):
i used size 10 (6mm) needles & a little over 2 skeins of a bulky 12 ply yarn (called bellezza canditi, made for joann's, which has been discontinued).
C6F or C6B (cable 6 front or cable 6 back): slip next 3 sts onto cable needle and hold at front (or back) of work, knit next 3 sts from left-hand needle, then knit sts from cable needle.
Cast on a multiple of 6 sts (I cast on 60 sts to make my cowl end up almost 9 inches wide)
1st Row (right side): Knit
2nd Row: Purl
3rd Row: *C6F; repeat from * to end
4th Row: Purl
5th Row: Knit
6th Row: Purl
7th Row: K3 *C6B; repeat from * to last 3 sts, K3
8th Row: Purl
Repeat these 8 rows until you've reached your desired length. i knit until my work measured about 30 inches then bound off. my cast off end was pretty wavy, so i decided to overlap and hand-stitch the ends together, since i knew i'd be pulling it over my head anyway. to make it a little wider at the bottom, i overlapped the ends at the top about 3 1/2" and the bottom only 1/2". i attached these vintage marble-like buttons through both layers to hold the outer end in place (and to look pretty).
and a view of the inside... you can see the wavy end, carefully bunched up, overlapped and stitched in place:
here's a polaroid of my cable cowl keeping out the chill. it works!
i'd been holding on to this thrifted knit fabric for a while, not knowing quite what to make with it. i finally decided that simple would be best... starting with a vintage kwik sew pattern (the one i used to make this top), i added a couple inches in length, skipped the hood, rounded the neckline and added a self-rib finish. not bad for a quick and comfy project. i forgot what a good fit and great starting point this pattern is for adaptations... now i have lots of ideas for ways to use up other knit fabrics in my stash.
kinda proud of how well this little pocket lined up: